The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Saturday 25 January 2020

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor


Publish Date: September 27th, 2011
Publisher: Hachette Audio, Audible Audio | Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Audiobook
Series: Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Narrated By: Khristine Hvam
Author’s Goodreads

Introduction

If you knew Karou, you'd know she's raised by what she calls monsters, and she loves them dearly. She fills her sketchbooks with them, human-animal hybrids, and after art school and hanging out with friends, she goes to her father's shop. Her father, Brimstone, the goat-ox hybrid, is a wish monger who trades impossible wishes for teeth. And Karou runs his errands, collecting teeth from those willing to part with them, until everything is interrupted by old foes, old war, and old lovers.

Setting - Prague

I really enjoyed that it was set in a place I am unfamiliar with. Not that there's anything bad with writing what you know, but I've had enough of Canada and the US. I was lost for a bit with all the different names/terms, but I grew to love the unfamiliarity of it. Taylor uses enough local sights, food, etc, so you can look stuff up if you want to, but she gives enough context that you can understand what she's talking about.

Fantasy Elements

I think the best part of this book is the fantastical elements. The chimaeras, the human-animal hybrids, are imaginative in their character designs and have robust personalities, my favourite being Brimstone. Then there are the otherworldly elements of the space Karou and her family live in, what wishes are and what they can do, and everything about Karou's existence.

Writing

This seems to be what throws people off of Taylor's writing. The author uses a lot of smilies and metaphors, and flowery writing, which I quite like, but I get that the preference lately is to have less flourish. I did find it to be a bit long, though. It took me a few months to finish it, and that only happened because I moved out of the city so my commute to work doubled. A little too much description bogged down the flow. (Alas, I am conflicted, because I also loved hearing about the new locales and people...)

Love

Eh. I didn't love the love here. Dude is trying to kill her, then he...pines for her. Then they meet up again and she...lets him hang around?



But.

I love what happens after.

Final Verdict

I enjoyed that this book didn't plunk you in as an outsider that needs everything explained right away. It kept the mystery going and in the meantime, we got to see Karou go about her life, which includes school, exes, then running her family's errands. I could devour books based just on her life before it falls apart. I still feel like the first part of the book is vastly different from the second. I enjoyed both parts, but you could keep me in the day-to-day life of Karou forever and I'd be happy. Ultimately, I highly recommend this book if you like longer fantasy, paranormal, or urban fantasy stories. If you don't like these genres, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because it is a lot to take in. But if this sounds intriguing to you, I highly recommend it. BTW, the narrator for this audiobook (Khristine Hvam) is FANTASTIC.











No comments:

Post a Comment