The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Friday 10 January 2020

Prince of Never by Juno Heart

Black Blood Fae

Publish Date: December 10th, 2019
Format: ebook
Series: Black Blood Fae
Author: Juno Heart
Author’s Goodreads
My Review on Goodreads

I received an advanced review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Introduction

A fae prince is cursed with a poison in his body that makes him cruel and will eventually kill him. To end the curse, he has to either find his fated mate and marry her, or murder her. A human girl with a talent for singing is brought to his land. When he finds her he initially believes she is a troll, but no matter, he takes her to court as his possession. Things look fairly grim for the girl, but her mother painted these lands for years, so Lara knows not to trust fae beauty and to find a way home as soon as possible.

Fairy Romance

Hi, I'm new to the fairy romance genre. I'll give you the rundown: fae/fairies aren't Tinkerbell, they are full magical creatures that live in another realm. They can do magic. Usually connected to nature (like the weather, fire, etc.). They cannot lie. They are cunning and not to be trusted, because they will take advantage of you, simple mortal.   

















Also, they are smouldering hot. And they know it.

Characters/Love Interest

I think this book qualifies as an Enemies to Lovers story. The way the male protagonist, Ever, was so bloody cruel to the heroine, Lara, was pretty irredeemable. But, that's the thing about this story. We find out that the prince is cursed. Not only will this curse kill him, which is pretty depressing, but this curse basically sucks out all the joy from him. He took pleasure in hurting others because of the curse, not because he's (necessarily) a bad person.

Lara was a great person as well. Stuck in the land of faerie where she is a pawn, prisoner, and plaything, she still uses her brain to get what she wants and gets things done. I appreciated that she didn't usually go with the flow for anything, she dared to manipulate the masters of manipulation when she could. Could have done with less constant questioning, though it was realistic. 

Final Verdict

I honestly couldn't put it down; I was so into it. Thankfully it was on my phone, so I could brush my teeth, cook dinner, etc., and keep reading. Characters are a little older, so I would technically classify it as New Adult, but more mature teens would like it. It gets steamy "behind the scene" and she's keenly aware of the situation when he puts her ahead of him on his horse. The ending is HEA (Happily Ever After), even says so in the Goodreads, but it's bittersweet if you think about it. Read it and find out why. I highly recommend this book.









No comments:

Post a Comment