The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Friday 8 June 2018

A Monster Calls Film, Book to Film Adaption


This 2016 adaption of Patrick Ness's A Monster Calls was alright. I'll make this quick review based on my thoughts about it being shown in a library or having it in the collection. 


Library Showing

I think the problem with this film is similar to what I also believe is an issue with the book (perhaps): most adults can enjoy it, because adults can theoretically relate to dying before their children. Teens, though, I think the book might not connect with everyone unless they are dealing with a parent that is ill. Honestly, I don't think I would have connected with the book at all when I was the target demographic. I'm fairly certain I would have found it childish. Like the film, there's something childish about Conor that I found off-putting. But as an adult, I can appreciate what he's going through. 

Ultimately, I don't think it would hold the interest of teens, unless you can find a group of them that WANT to see it together.


Library Collection 

Why not? I suppose someone might be upset by the bullying. It wouldn't go in the children's department, and I never hear of teens' sections having AV materials. There shouldn't be too much trouble putting it in the regular film collection. 


Other Thoughts

The three stories are animated instead of live action. I think the animation is good, but it's jarring. I get why they did it for the narrative, though. 


The monster was interesting. I suppose it is like most films where you get to see the monster up close and regularly: it becomes familiar and no longer frightening. 


There's a lot of scenes that adults get how good they were filmed.



I felt that it was an ok film, and I'm a little disappointed, but it did convey the story nicely. No reason not to include it in your collection, though it is a few years old now. I'm waiting on the Chaos Walking Trilogy to be filmed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment