The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Secrets in the Attic by Virginia Andrews / Andrew Neiderman


Virginia Andrews also published under V.C. Andrews
This was actually written by ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman
Published: 1979/1997? Conflicting dates.
Publisher: Pocket Books
Author's Goodreads Page
Ghostwriter's Website


Quick Review

Karen and Zipporah are best friends, hanging out in Zipporah's attic, making fun of their classmates and talking about boys. When Karen's life seems to unravel, Zipporah is concerned and tries to get to the truth.

But Karen's story isn't so black and white. 

Young Adult Literature?

Goodreads has this listed as YA, which is why I am including it here. I don't know how this was marketed back when it was published. Just because you have two main characters who are teens does not mean that it is a good example of YA literature. Why do I say this? Because these teens do not act nor speak like teens. They speak like my grandmother would write or describe formally, which is not how young people speak, even in 1979 or 1997. This is sad. None of the teens described are really good depictions of young adults. It reads more like how an adult, who doesn't know any better, would say teens act. Times do change, and I wasn't around in 1979, but the writing is awful either way (in a fight, would you say someone "embraced" your legs, or someone "grabbed" your legs?), and I suspect some actual teens might find it off-putting. 

And about the writing: say KAREN one more time, I swear.

Library Inclusion

I wouldn't buy this for a library, unless, for some reason, Virginia Andrews (of Flowers in the Attic fame) becomes popular again (and you want even the books she didn't actually write but has her name on the cover). The slow unravelling of deceit was alright, but the poor characterization of two teens doesn't make it worthwhile to me.

Below I have a spoiler for something that bothered me in the epilogue, if anyone is interested. Aside from that, this review is done, so you can stop reading it now if you don't want to spoil anything.




  










The Epilogue

Everyone figures out Karen is a manipulator and liar. Why doesn't Zipporah bring up that Karen SAID she slept with two other men, instead of letting her brother's name be dragged through the mud? Karen's mom may be right about who the father is, but we're just not going to bring up any other names in this? No? Anyone? Ok. I don't know if they had paternity tests whenever this is supposed to take place (and I don't care too much to research it), so they'd never really know the truth. I just found the absurdity of the ending to be lazy writing so Karen can be reborn "into the family".  

No comments:

Post a Comment