The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Sunday 12 August 2018

Anomaly by Krista McGee


Published: 2013
Publisher: Thomas Nelson /Audible
Author's Website
Format: Audiobook, Unabridged
Series: Anomaly
Narration by: Hayley Cresswell

Introduction

Thalli lives in Pod C, designed by scientists to be a musician. She and her pod mates live in an underground society because nuclear war has decimated the surface. Their society is very rigid and rational. Emotions are to be regulated. Questions are not to be asked. Love as a concept and feeling has been abandoned. Anyone who exhibits these traits are anomalies and must be annihilated. Thalli has avoided suspicion for all her life. Now that she is 17, it is harder. When she begins to cry uncontrollably, the scientists to label her as an anomaly to be disposed of. Desperate not to die, she and her childhood friend, Berke, try to prove her unusual character to be useful to their society.

Genre-Christian Fiction

I didn't realize it is Christian fiction until the talk about the Creator came in, and it was lightly spoken of at first. Goodreads has it tagged as Christian Fiction, so if you are interested in the genre, here's a Christian fiction, sci-fi, dystopian YA. Towards the end of the novel it got a bit heavy and it honestly dragged on and on when it really didn't need to. It might be a turn-off for some readers, but I thought the mixing of "science is the only way" and religious belief was interesting. 

Writing

The writing is bland, and that's being generous. The world they live in is devoid of emotion and frivolous ideas like fancy words. It makes sense that everyone speaks without contractions and they are very "to the point". But even Thalli at her best is a white-bread experience. I am so very certain the writing style is very intentional given the world, but the reader has to enjoy reading the book. I listened to this as an audio book and all the dialogue and Thalli's descriptions came off as so stilted.

Also, the writing about the Thalli's brain and conscious vs unconscious thought and music was going to solve all of their problems...that was silly. I couldn't suspend my disbelief to think that the resident musician was going to solve the problem the scientists couldn't solve.



Twists 

Most of the surprise twists were awful. Laughably awful. Yes, question the scientific society and you'll catch them in some lies. But the ridiculousness piled up and they were unbelievable. I don't want to spoil the book if someone actually wants to read this, but once you do read it, you'll know what I'm referring to (pretty much everything).



At first, I finished the book and was relieved the experience was over. Then I hop on to Goodreads and see this is a trilogy. This. Has. More. Books. White Bread: The Sequel. White Bread: The Conclusion. I doubt I'll listen to or read the others, but...maybe. Why? I also disappoint myself.


Final Thoughts

If you like Christian fiction, YA, sci-fi, and dystopias, I can see why this may interest you. I haven't read much Christian fiction, so I can't recommend anything in its place. However, this is a hard sell for me. The sci-fi portion of it was so disappointing. The twists that take place were ridiculous and unbelievable. The ending was a dumpster fire. I don't recommend this, unfortunately. It has, however, made me realize I should read and review Christian fiction so I can recommend some titles if a library patron ever asks.



*I don't have a problem with white bread, I really don't. I just don't want a book printed on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment