The Gilmore Girls Reading List

Saturday 18 August 2018

Medicine River by Thomas King


Published: 1990
Publisher: Penguin Canada

Introduction

Will has not been back to Medicine River, Alberta, in years, and he only returns for his mother's funeral. He meets Harlen, a man who is nosey and annoying at times, but ultimately well-meaning. The book details the other inhabitants of Medicine River. As a single, 40-year-old man, Harlen attempts to get Will into relationships, sports, and business. Will himself is half Indigenous and Medicine River is bordering on a Blackfoot reserve, so there are some tensions in the community. This book about identity, culture, and self-discovery. 

I decided to do a short review here because in my AP literature class in high school, another student was assigned this book. Plus, I believe it was included in one of my university classes. 

Genre, Pace, & Plot

Goodreads has this listed as Fiction and Cultural > Canada. I'd call it literary fiction. It has literary merit and subtle complexities regarding social issues that deserve insight and further thought. The pace is fairly slow, with the stories revolving around Medicine River and Will. While the stories can be intriguing in a slow-burning and quiet way, they are realistic and quite frankly, boring. A lot of criticism I see online for this is that it is boring, which I do not refute. However, welcome to real life. There are no big explosions, rarely do people get "hero" moments in their lives. Life is usually a string of mundane experiences with occasional knots of mild interest.  

The major problem I have with the plot is with regards to Will's overall arch. He is insecure, passive, and simply floats in life. The thing is, this doesn't change! By the end of the book, he doesn't learn, despite Harlen's attempts to make him DO something. The book ended and I turned the page, expecting there to be more. No, there isn't. It's like King just stopped writing. Did he forget to write the end? Is my copy missing pages?    

Essay/Discussion Topics

Families, identity, location and identity, First Nations/Indigenous/Aboriginal Peoples in literature, Canadian literature, fatherhood. I enjoyed how Will interacted with South Wing, given his own history with his father.

Final Thoughts

For a personal read, it was an okay book. I hate that the reader is left with Will being exactly the same, unchanged, learning nothing. There area few spelling errors in my edition which bothered me (this was published by Penguin!). For an academic read, it does give an interesting dynamic to dissect. It was a quick, easy read. This book is similar to Stone Angel, as it is set in the present day and there are flashbacks to the past (I know this sometimes bothers readers). If you need to read Canadian fiction for a class, this is a good pick.  

Also, question, if this book is set in Canada, why does it use miles rather than kilometres?

No comments:

Post a Comment